- Improvement of the quality and usefulness of the numerical weather prediction model HIRLAM (HIgh Resolution Limited Area Model), which is used to predict the weather in Europe and on the Atlantic Ocean up to +48 hours ahead.
- Development of nowcasting and short term forecasting methods (0-12 hours ahead), for:
- the detection and prediction of severe weather (thunderstorms, lightning, hail, fog and low visibility, ...)
- short term predictions of cloudiness
- short term predictions for applications in aviation meteorology
- downscaling methods to derive wind fields at a resolution of 0.5-1km
- Development of models for the dispersion of air pollution.