Tasks and Activities
Several research topics, including groundbased (in-situ and remote sensing) and
satellite observations, are studied at KNMI.
- Development of meteorological products based on geostationary
(Meteosat) and polar (MetOp, NOAA) satellites.
- Development of new weather radar products for the detection of severe
weather phenomena, like summer hail, wind gusts, and heavy
- Optimizing the European synops observer network for the EUMETNET
programs EUCOS, E-AMDAR, E-ASAP and E-GVAP
- Investigation of ways to automize the visual observations of present
weather and sight
- Setting up routinely processing of groundbased GPS for use in
Numerical Weather Prediction
- Investigation of the posibility of a national network of
windprofilers and/or Sodars, and the study of the impact of
assimilating the data in a Numerical Weather Predict model.
- Modifying the way observations at sea are gathered and processed;
improving the availability of these data for third-parties by, for
instance, participating in the
"Nationale Oceanografische Data" Committee (NODC)
- Contacts and representation with clients, national committees (BCRS), ESA,